Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
akers

Roseville, US
391 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
akers Registered since 10th Aug 2004
Wed 02-May-12 05:40 PM

About a week ago I shot a rock group at a small club with bad (virtually no) lighting. The group had it's own little light show devices that made it even worse, flashing colors and reflected backlghting off the wall behind them. I had a huge percentage of out of focus shots that I presume were the results of the weird lighting fooling the camera's focusing/exposure system. I was using the D3s with the 24-70 and 70-200. The available light shots were terrible and I ended up using flash. Did not want to as it ruins the atmosphere.

I had the auto iso on with a max of 6400. Aperature preferred (f2.8 up to f8.) I played with every metering and focusing setting I could. Very frustrating night. I have shot a lot indoors with and without flash but never had anything like this happen.

For the future can someone give me some pointers on adjusting the EV, and any other settings you can think of, for both flash and available light? This was my first time shooting something like this and I was/am clueless.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

D3s, D300, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 VRI and VRIIx2, 80-400 VR, Sigma 150-500.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G