Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Anyone have the L-479DR figured out yet?

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Tue 16-Oct-12 02:41 AM | edited Tue 16-Oct-12 04:52 PM by ScottChapin

I took delivery of mine today and it looks promising, but a manual addendum is a little disappointing.

You must turn groups on individually and meter them individually, then turn them all on for a cumulative reading. This is definitely contrary to the manual which makes it seem like you can fire them sequentially with the press of the metering button, and get the group and cumulative readings simultaneously. Now I'm curious as to whether that will be a firmware fix or not.

On the plus side, you can set your on camera radio to trigger only, without setting power levels. Once you get the groups adjusted with the meter, you don't have to duplicate the settings on the camera. This pretty much negates using the AC3, which is OK with me. Now I have to think in terms of using C2 for metered flash and C1 for camera controlled flash.

I was using C2 for hyper sync which might still work, since you have to set your flash units to full power manual for hyper sync to work, so power control would not matter. You could use the Mini TT1 for the camera radio when metering, if you don't want to disable power control on all of your radios.

Edited to add: The Mac Group has told me that the addendum to the manual is a temporary fix. A soon to be forthcoming firmware update will fix the problem and meter the flashes individually.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

G