Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

White balance and the eyes

dagoldst

Little Rock, US
3075 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dagoldst Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012
Sun 16-Dec-12 09:15 PM

Hal has talked about how the brain compensates to build a proper white balance and I have to deal with this issue maybe a bit more than others.

I had cataract surgery a couple years ago now on my left eye. The new intraocular lens left me with 20/40 vision and a perfectly clear lens. My old, biological lens in my right eye is noticeably yellowed, (and gradually degrading into cloudiness that will require replacement).

I find to really "see" color accurately, I have to close my right eye.

Another aspect of the two different lens "tints" is that if I look at something through a railing, like a white house, I will see white in my left eye, and more of a yellowish white in the right eye, both at the same time. Brain wern't wired up for that!

Anyway, my contribution to the foibles of brain/eye interaction in building colors.

David

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof " - Carl Sagan

G