Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Vox Sciurorum

Newton, US
240 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007
Sun 05-Feb-12 07:45 PM

One of my hopes for the Nikon 1 was higher resolution photos with F mount lenses. With the ~3 micron pixels the Nikon 1 can in theory pull about twice the linear resolution out of an image compared to the 5-9 micron pixels in bigger cameras.

I suspected the image quality might not be that good, and my suspicions are somewhat confirmed.

Lenses with reputations for sharp images produce good images on the Nikon 1. The 85mm f/1.4D, for example, is usable if you accept the MF, center spot limitation. I'll try some closeups with a macro lens; I expect good results too.

Merely good lenses suffer. In particular, my Sigma 800mm f/5.6 is terrible on the V1. I get no more resolution than if I cropped the center of a DSLR frame, and possibly less. I thought focus might be the problem. I swept the focus plane through my target and none of the images were good. Diffraction guarantees the image won't be super-sharp, but it's not good at all. I recall that some lenses that were good on film did not get along with DSLRs. Possibly some lenses that get along with DSLRs don't get along with the 1. I have seen a shot from a Nikon 600mm that was much better than my Sigma 800mm produced; the Nikon is also a sharper lens to start with.

I'd like to hear others' experiences and tips.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Image quality with FT1

G