Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Modest suggestions for the V1 User Interface

sabbey51

Saddle River, US
649 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sabbey51 Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010
Mon 16-Jan-12 01:51 AM

After reading all of the reviews and considering my potential uses, I bought the Nikon 1 V1 and three lenses (10mm, 10-30mm, 30-110mm) last week. I had the opportunity to use it this weekend at a party, and found it quite good. I mostly used the 10/2.8, which along with Auto ISO 800, gave me plenty of room to shoot without any flash support. The focusing is quick, the LCD and EVF are clear, the camera handles well.  There are a few deficiencies in the V1 UI which have been well documented online. However, I think that it would be possible for Nikon to repair many of these through firmware changes, thereby adding significant value to both their customers and to Nikon by having a much better UI.

So here's one man's view.

Issue: the mode selector moves too easily. Several times in the course of shooting a couple of hundred images over the last two days I found it in the wrong position, even though it was mostly just hanging from a neck strap.

Solution: create a setup option to require a shift key before moving the mode will have any effect. The OK button would be suitable. The OK button currently is used to "grab" the focus point when in single focus point mode, but this is only relevent if the LCD/EVF is on. So the (optional) shift would not be available if this option was set and the EVF/LCD was on.

Issue: the mode selector choices are sub-optimal for many shooters. For my part, I would strongly prefer to be able to choose PASM using this dial.

Solution: allow redefinition of the mode dial in the Setup menu. I would be happy with a few predefined sets, but it wouldn't be that hard to allow each of the four positions to be customized individually. My choices for predefined sets would be: - PASM - select which setting the zoom lever and circular dial control - ISO, WB, Metering type (matrix, etc.), AF area, AF mode, AF-ON, ... . Note tha these two controls duplicate each other now when the F button is pressed; this is obviously a waste of a good button.

Issue: the F button function is fixed.

Solution: this should be a Setup option for each of the four Mode button positions. I would probably select AF-ON for each of ASM, mimicking the way I use my D7000.

Issue: the stupid cover over the shoe connector falls off all the time.

Solution: sadly, not a firmware issue.

I think these would solve most of the concerns I have with the camera's UI.   I would welcome hearing other opinions.  

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Modest suggestions for the V1 User Interface

G