Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

V1/V2 Pros, Cons & Best Use Cases??

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Wed 23-Jan-13 11:29 AM | edited Wed 23-Jan-13 11:31 AM by walk43

Hi Everyone,

After a few months with the V1, and reading lots of comments, I thought I would suggest that we start a collection of our experiences (actual vs speculated)regarding the V1 (or V2 where similar) to aid others in their purchase/use of the Nikon V series.

I suggest that we break the list into 3 sections that compares the V Series to ANY other camera you have used. Keep it simple and if your comment is not clear I am sure that others will chime in with questions, agreements or challenges. Lets keep it professional (as always on Nikonians). Also state whether your experience is specific to a V1 or V2.

Pros can include 'form factor' like small and easy to carry or 'tech capability' like 2.7 crop factor or 'functional advantages' like ability to use DSLR lenses with an adapter (FT1 or other). Can operate totally silent...etc.

Cons can include 'Form factor'....'tech cabability' etc. like slow focus with non-Nikon 1 lenses or high noise in low light with DSLR lenses. Or lack of a hot shoe for more flash capabilities, etc.

Use Cases can include: Macro capabilities providing more DOF at the same FOV as DSLR's. High frame (burst) rates/sec for sports or action shots. Video. Wildlife/birds with the 2.7 crop. Indoors at museums, graduations etc, (silent, low light) etc, etc.

The Sections I suggest are:

1. Pros
2. Cons
3. Best Use Cases (where it serves you well and has a unique ability for your type of use and experience level)
4. Comments: Elabotate (if you wish) on 'why' you state the above.

In your posts just list 1 or all 3 categories with your comments and "actual" experiences with the camera....not what you have heard from others.

Below is a suggested format for your response (remember these are your actual experiences and advantages/disadvantages to you!!)

Model: V1
- Pros: 2.7 crop factor for reach
- Cons: no built in flash
- Best Use Cases: Vacations, outdoor picnics, wildlife, macro

= Comments: Elabotate (if you wish) on 'why' you state the above.

If this thread is a bad idea I am sure that it will just slowly 'die on the vine' or ....maybe become a 'flaming' topic. If you want to add a comment(s) please do so at the bottom of your post.

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G