Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
VR8

Ottawa, CA
786 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008
Fri 07-Dec-12 10:02 PM

I had the opportunity to trade up to a V2 from a V1. There are several reasons why the V2 is an improvement over the V1 for me.

1. No mandatory image review.
2. Less easily moved dials. They can still be inadvertently moved but its harder.
3. Its easier to turn off and on - especially off - then the V1.
3. Higher resolution 10 to 14mp approx.
4. Better handling overall, its lighter, can be shot with one hand and has a grip.

I intend to use it as a walk around body for photography only.

Today I had a chance to go out with the camera and test it with the 10-30mm 3.5-5.6 lens. Its was overcast and dark so a higher ISO was needed. Lightroom and CS don't read the nef files. I took the nefs into NX2 (thank you Mr. Bowles for pointing this fix out) on a windows machine converted them to Tiff and moved them to my IMAC. I imported them to Lightroom, exported them without editing and used CS to size for web. So the photos below are unedited, Auto White Balance, Active D lighting was off, Vibration reduction was on, AF was on spot and metering was matrix. NX2 conversion to Tiff is slow.

You may have guessed that I am happy with the V2 - though I would prefer and will buy prime lenses. The following are some of the test shots I took. I was impressed with the dynamic range - shooting through two windows to an outdoor scene and still seeing the roof of the room. The detail was not bad either e.g. the etchings on the wall which speaks to the lens. Finally the ribbons shot indoors at a very slow speed shows the vibration reduction can work.

ISO 400 -11.8mm-F8- 1/640

Click on image to view larger version

ISO400-10mm-F16-1/20

ISO160-30mm-F8-1/320

ISO160-30mm-F8-1/200

ISO800-30mm-F8-1/500

ISO800-30mm-F9-1/30