Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon CX Lenses and Crop Factor

texspeel

Fairfax Station, US
391 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
texspeel Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011
Thu 19-Jul-12 03:44 PM

Until I recently bought my Nikon V1 and started doing some reading, I would have been sure I knew the answer if anyone asked me the question. However, now I need your help.

Background understanding - a 50mm FX lens on a 50mm FX body gives you a 50mm equivalent focal lenght. The same lens on a DX gives you an equivalent focal length of 75 mm due to the DX crop factor. However, if I use a 50mm DX lens on a DX body, then I have a 50 mm equivalent focal length. I'm comfortable with all this.

Question - based on some reading I've been doing since I bought my V1, I'm under the impression that, even if I'm using one of the CX lenses designed for the V1, I still apply the 2.7 crop to get the effective focal length. That would make the equivalent focal length of the 30-100 CX lens roughly 80-300. Is that correct? If so, I wonder why the didn't just call it an 80-300? Am I reading that correctly or am I confusing it with using the other (FX, DX)_lenses via the adapter on the V1?

Appreciate any info. Thanks in advance.
Tom

"Nothing can be recognized without light and shade. It is only through the eye, the window of the soul, that we can truly understand the complex workings of nature." - Leonardo da Vinci

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon CX Lenses and Crop Factor

G