Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Learned some things about the Grip(s)

slothead

Frederick, US
1906 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009
Thu 17-May-12 04:30 PM | edited Thu 17-May-12 04:32 PM by slothead

Some of you will recall that I purchased the Custom Grip from Richard Franiec and was very happy with it. I also purchased the Camera Plate from RRS for the V1 and the two did not play nicely when the grip was mounted with Richard's recommendation. I wrote to Richard after realizing this because I wanted to retain both, but knew I would have to move the grip up to accommodate the RRS plate.

Richard understood the interference problem and offered to send me replacement adhesive strips to remove and replace the grip at a "higher" position. He didn't think it would be as esthetically pleasing an installation, but understood the "sacrifice" that I wanted to make.

I removed the grip after Richard reported the adhesive strips were in the mail and installed the camera plate. I then positioned the grip "above" the edge of the camera plate so that they would not interfere when I installed the plate again. I have not yet received the adhesive, so right now both pieces are positioned but not permanently mounted (the camera plate screw is tight, but it doesn't ever really get "permanently" mounted).

You couldn't do this with the Nikon grip because it takes up base space. I think this combination is ideal for me.

The bottom line is that it all fits together, and still looks esthetically pleasing to me.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D810, D750, N1-J5, N1-V3 (and a few other cameras) and a BIG handful of lenses.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Learned some things about the Grip(s)

G