Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

3200 video very poor highlights and shadows

aienco

AU
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
aienco Registered since 24th Jan 2013
Thu 24-Jan-13 01:52 AM

Hello all I am new to the forum. I have been shooting video for 30 years and stills on nikons for the same time.

I have gone to DSLR for video and thought this would be a good camera to get me into it before I spend a lot on it. Shooting video on DSLR is definitely a whole new ball game to shooting video on a video camera, even a pro one.

I wonder if someone could shed some light on this for me? Ha Ha? I understand DSLR is more like film and I understand what film is supposed to look like but I am not sure I am getting the desired results.

Shooting video on a bright sunny day. I have dlighting on. Shooting at f 5.6 200 iso, fast shutter because it is a real pain to change aperture on this model, but I also tried it at 50fps PAL, with a small aperture same issues. Here is a sample. Adjusting aperture for roses.

https://vimeo.com/58069388

Notice the highlights are blown out and the shadows or dark area is black. Is this how film look is supposed to be??? Cause if so, I don't really care for it much? What am I doing wrong. Is it this particular camera?

As another question, I realize I need to get a nd filter, but the only EASY way whilst shooting to adjust lighting is through the shutter and that should be on 50fps? The other way is to put it on S so the aperture changes automatically but this is undesirable too. Going out of live view mode and changing it is just stupid and unusable really.

Would love some educated advice as I don't want to give up too soon. I am told this camera handles video quite well albeit not to the extent of the pro ones.

G