Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Shooting video with an 800E. Any tips or articles?

Jeff1

Provincetown, US
68 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jeff1 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2004
Tue 27-Nov-12 10:22 PM

I never really considered shooting video with my SLR's. When travelling, I'm trying not to take extra gear, like my video camera.

I have seen some beautiful video results with slr cameras. I still have not got it perfected. The biggest problem is the settings, especially the focus.

Can one really use auto focus without the camera zooming in and out continuosly, and then the noise it creats makes it impossible to use the captured sound?

Keep in mind, i'm trying to travel light, and really can't carry an extra mic, or those shoulder rail systems.

A student of mine at my workshop told me their camera store said to set all on auto settings, and focus mannually. The 800 doesn't have auto settings, and I'd hate to use any if they did. A guy at B&H said they really haven't perfected DSLR video shooting, except for the quality.

But, do you really have to shoot on manual focus? That would really be a pain, when following action or street scenes. I can imagine it would be ok for a landscape setting.

are there any articles you can point me to, or at least some simple tips.Thanks, as always.

Jeff
www.lovingerimages.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G