Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800, FX Sensor and Video

SirPuttsAlot

Poughquag, US
354 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
SirPuttsAlot Registered since 26th Sep 2011
Tue 28-Feb-12 02:27 PM

I have a question about how video is typically processed on a DSL and/or how we think it will be processed on the D800. I'm curious if when DSL's record video if they use the entire sensor to capture the video or if it crops the sensor and only uses a smaller portion for video capture.

I'm not looking at this from a quality of video perspective as much as a lens selection item. If a DX Camera uses the sweet spot of an FX lens b/c it's cropped it results in far less distortion but if the video uses the entire sensor, then lens selection will be rather important to get the results we want. All the distortion will be visible in the video unless there is some form of distortion control added to the video processing flow inside the camera. Unlike a still photo, I don't have a lens correction utility for video. I'm curious because this might make lenses like the 28-300 not a great choice for double duty on vacation where it's complex distortion will not be able to be addressed / corrected.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800, FX Sensor and Video
               Reply message RE: D800, Zoom lens and Video

G