Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Returning from Catastrophic Data Loss

Dark Wraith

US
88 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Dark Wraith Registered since 05th Apr 2010
Sun 05-Jun-11 08:51 PM

Many of you provided good support and active commentary for my post about a Catastrophic Data Loss resulting from a counterfeit Sandisk card. As a note of appreciation for that, I am returning here to the Nikon D7000 forum with a minor note of follow-up as I return to photography.

I have decided that I will no longer do any event work, either for pay or as a favor. The error I made in using a bad card cost too many people too many cherishable memories. I shall, however, continue my work in landscapes, portraits, and other subject areas, with my Nikon D7000 as my instrument of choice, along with an AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f3.5-5.6GII ED and an AF-S Nikkor 50mm f1.4G riding the mount as one or the other is appropriate to the situation.

The photograph below represents my return to landscape photography. Shot with the Nikkor 18-200mm at f/4.5 for 1/250 second, this represents one of my more successful subject series: Prairie scenes, often depicting the old, abandoned, or otherwise unattended structures and other places of the American rural Midwest. It also shows what can be accomplished with a Nikon D7000 when the photographer is on his game. The D7000 is a simply amazing camera from which I will not need to upgrade for years to come.

Perhaps it goes without saying, but the camera is not the professional: that's the work of the person using it, who identifies the subjects, creates composition, awaits the emergence of desirable light or constructs it, photographs the scene, then takes the raw product through post-production workflow utilizing both standard and creative techniques to render an experience for viewers of the artistry. It might sell, or it might otherwise stand as witness to the scene captured and to the photographer whose vision is rendered in the hues, the luminance, and the composition in its parts and in its entirety.

Click on the image to see it at much larger scale in my Nikonians gallery, and let me know what you think of it.

Click on image to view larger version

Dark Wraith
Professor, Writer, Photographer
See my Gallery

G