Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Question for the pixel /sensor experts

baseelo

Dearborn, US
47 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
baseelo Gold Member Nikonian since 04th May 2011
Sun 22-May-11 10:15 AM | edited Sun 22-May-11 10:19 AM by baseelo

I'm a total novice in digital photo field. I've been reading some books trying to understand the pixel/sensor/Dx/Fx issue. And my understanding is that the following points are true:

A-Fx sensors are 36mmX24 mm so the area is 864 square mm (8.6 square c.m.)

B-Dx sensors are 24mmX16 mm so the area is 384 square mm ( 3.8 square c.m.)

C- Dx sensors' area is only 44% of the Fx sensor's area.

D-When we say that a camera has a 16.2 mega pixel sensor, we actually mean the total pixels on the sensor.

E- The sensor of the D3x camera has 24.5 megapixels total so it has 2.8 megapixels per square c.m.

F- The sensor of the D3s camera has about 12 megapixels total, so it has about 1.4 megapixels per square c.m.

G- Not all pixels are the same, so the pixels on the sensor of D3x are so crowded (and small) so they have less light gathering power than those of the D3s ( which are bigger and lay more comfortably on the sensor) and that explains the good performance of the D3s with high ISO.

H- Ironically, D7000 which has a 16.2 megapixel sensor has 4.26 megapixels per square c.m. of its sensor which is more than D3x !!!!

Sorry for the long question, but are all of these points true? . And in that case, what value would resolution have in evaluating the quality of a camera if not all pixels are the same? And if we have these ironic points, it is hard for me to accept that D7000 has higher resolution (per square c.m.) than the queen of resolution (the legendary D3x.)
Please correct any wrong conclusions that I made and if some of the points are naive or if I'm missing something here, just remember that I'm just a beginner who is trying to understand some brand new facts.

Thank you

Basel

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Photography is the art of freezing light in the heart of the moment.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Question for the pixel /sensor experts