Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Which autofocus mode?

mdallie

Novi, US
238 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011
Sat 21-May-11 12:32 AM

I've just finished spending about 30 minutes on the D7000 autofocus modes by reading Thom Hogan's book. This was my second reading of this section of his book. I should also add that this is my first Nikon (I shot Canon for a long time) so that could be part of my challenge.

After reading his book, I have concluded that AF-C, Dynamic Area 39 (or 3D) might work out best for me and I'd like some perspective on this.

I THINK that if I do this, that when I first press the shutter halfway, i can use the control on the back to pick my focus point, and then the camera will try to stay with that focus point. So, in other words, I can focus and then re-compose and the camera will stay on my focus point (I've done it a little bit and seems to kinda sorta work).

I like that better than using the focus lock button because it seems to me if I use the focus lock button to lock focus and recompose, I am likely to get back focus or out of focus.

Am I making any sense here and does what I'm trying to do make sense? I am not often shooting action/motion, but I do want to focus on a subject using the middle focus points, and then recompose to position the subject somewhere else.

Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated. I've spent so much time reading up on this that I realize I may be totally confused by now.

Mike

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Which autofocus mode?