Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How can I control the flash and background exposure fully independently?

BoStruye

US
51 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
BoStruye Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2011
Sun 15-May-11 08:58 AM

I always shoot in manual when I use an off camera flash. This gives me full control of camera exposure and flash exposure.

Today I decided to try going Auto at a graduation party. I have a TTL cable connecting my SB600 to my D7000. I set camera to Aperture priority and flash to TTL BL. Everything works fine.

Now I want to underexpose the bg by 2 stops. So I use the exposure compensation button to dial 2 stops under. But at that point the whole exposure goes down, including that of the flash output.

I suppose this is because the main EC controls the total amount of light reaching the sensor. So to compensate for that, I would have to dial the flash exposure UP by two stops to keep a properly exposed shot. And every time I want to change that ratio, I have to adjust both EC and FEC.

Is there a way to control the bg and flash exposure independently in some kind of Auto mode? So I can lower or raise the bg without affecting the flash output and vice versa?

Thank you for any help.

Bo

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How can I control the flash and background exposure...
Reply message RE:The bit you overlooked
Reply message RE:The bit you overlooked

G