Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

I need help. ND400 long exposure

TakeTwo

South Lake Tahoe, US
214 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009
Fri 29-Apr-11 05:18 AM

Hello group. I have a question for all of you and am hoping someone can help to explain my problem. I took several pictures today using my new nd400 filter so I could start capturing some daytime long exposure of the lake. In the posted image below I took with a 15 second exposure by stacking a nd-400 and nd8 (12stops total)filters. My problem is I had over 400 hundred hot or white pixels as I would say. I did not use any noise reduction. Am I asking to much for the camera's sensor.

Its seems to me that all those that say putting a lens cap on your lens and take pictures to find hot or dead pixels may want reconsider that. Is taking a picture with a 12 stop filter in some way making the camera's sensor work harder for light.

I'm at a loss here. I have never had any issues with my sensor? I think noise reduction on is a must. Has anyone shot a similar technique while using noise reduction and had or not had hot pixels.

d7k
12-24mm
exp. 15"
ISO 100
f:22
I cloned out the hot pixels in this image.

Click on image to view larger version

This is a 100% crop of the sky of a different image. No post work.
Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: I need help. ND400 long exposure

G