Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My adventure with the D7000 - 50mm - Manual mode

HayMower

Springfield, US
206 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008
Tue 19-Apr-11 07:52 PM

The D7000 is a very forgiving camera - sometimes. I went to an indoor concert Sunday afternoon - grabbed D7000 at the last minute and took it. It had the 50mm 1.4 lens on it, and I wanted to work with that combo.

I had been experimenting at home with the methodology (that I learned on this forum) of using the AE-L/AF-L button to focus before I composed the shot and clicked the shutter, and I didn't take time to look at the settings before the concert started.

After about 50 shots, I noticed that the ISO was varying by quite a bit - so I figured it would be a good test for noise and didn't think too much about it. A few minutes later, I scanned through and noticed that many of the shots were at the same shutter speed and f-stop - and that's when I looked at the top of the camera - it was in Manual (M) mode.

Pictures 1-11 - 1/125 F8 ISO 4000-Hi 0.3 (most 5000)
Pictures 12-19- 1/100 F8 ISO 3200-5000
Pictures 20-22- 1/80 F8 ISO 3600
Pictures 23-53- 1/60 F8 ISO 1800-4000 (most 2800 to 3600)
Then I switched to P mode for a couple of shots
Pictures 54-56- 1/125 F1.4 - ISO 180-220

It's a good thing I had auto ISO set - the pictures turned out fairly good.

Why did the shutter speed vary, You ask? Upon reflection, I believe that I was brushing the rear command dial from time to time and changing the shutter speed.

The pictures that I took in M mode turned out sharper than the two I took in P mode (no surprise there - not much DOF at 1.4). They did have some noise, but actually not as much as I feared. The band was playing in front of a light beige wall, so not much black area to show noise.

I only had a couple of out of focus shots, too - showing me that divorcing autofocus from the Shutter Release button is working for me. The D7000 has a hair-trigger shutter release compared to my
D40X, and once I get used to pressing a button on the back of the camera to engage the autofocus and then pressing the Shutter Release, I'm going to like it.

I really like the D7000, and the 50mm 1.4 is a real gem, in my opinion.

Also, I'm going to use Manual mode more often - have been in P mode while learning the camera.

Note to self: Check camera settings before the shoot!

Hillbilly Harry - in the Missouri Ozarks.

D7000
D40X
AF-S 10-24
AF-S 18-55 VR
AF-S 55-300 VR
AF-S 50 1.4G
AF-S 35 1.8G
SB400
Nikon closeup attachments 0, 1, 3T, 4T

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G