Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

ISO Performance of my D7000

savagetom

Lowell, US
9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
savagetom Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jul 2007
Sat 16-Oct-10 04:15 AM

I, too, was able to get one at BestBuy this afternoon. I've been playing around with it and doing some direct comparisons to my D60.

I'd say that the ISO performance is about 1 to 1.5 stops better on a straight noise basis. But the way I see the images, the overall performance is 2 or 3 stops better because of much better contrast and saturation at the higher ISO values. When you down sample a D7000 jpg to the same pixel size as the D60 in Capture NX2, the difference is striking.

The other thing I noticed is that the auto white balance is MUCH better. I'm messing around in the living room under those goofy compact fluorescent and incandescent bulbs.

I haven't posted any images because I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the two cameras are doing with respect to in-camera processing of the jpgs. It looks like I can turn off hi ISO noise reduction in the D7000. Not sure about the D60. I think they are both doing some sharpening, also. I can't open the D7000 raw files in Capture NX2, yet. I hope they have an update soon. I downloaded View NX2 but it keeps crashing on me.

I think folks will be happy with the camera when they get to use it.

Tom Savage
Newburgh, IN

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: ISO Performance of my D7000

G