Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Small Lens Kit / Two Go-To Primes for D7000

SnapSnapSnap

US
33 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
SnapSnapSnap Registered since 08th Nov 2010
Thu 14-Apr-11 03:08 PM | edited Thu 14-Apr-11 03:13 PM by SnapSnapSnap

I have reduced my kit and now try to shoot only primes. I do event photography and I'm feeling the urge to pick up a second body soon.

Thought I'd share the experience (prior to the photos) in case any of you were fretting getting a good kit together with recent supply issues.

Last night I shot an event with just my 35/1.8G.

I have used the 50/1.8 D at the same event.

The setting is a mid sized two room restaurant with a full bar and dj/live band in the main room. I can also get guests on the way in or out in the hall/entry way of the resort where the "club" is but the lighting has a lot of yellow cast. The interior lights cycle from blue to red slowly and there is a great "dynamic" space from light to dark inside the mainroom.

These two lenses do different things for nightlife. The 50 makes a great bokeh if you place the person really close to your lens and a fair distance from a busy varied background (like the liquor shelves behind the bar).

The 35 stopped down to 3.2 never misses a shot (3.2 - 1/50 - 1600 - M) and I decided my hand holding technique without VR/OS is fine @ 1/50 with most motion stopped good as well.

I'm seeing 1/3 to 1/2 of the little graph on most photos, telling me that I am capturing a nice amount of light. I shoot with a sb700 usually set to -0.3 or -0.7 using the bounce card and flash head pointed 90 degrees.

I know it seems silly to shoot a paid event with a $200 prime lens only and have to punch up more flash and step back if I need to "zoom out".

And the number one piece of advice I have for a DSLR in a nightclub is don't shoot people with a mirror behind them!

Comments or tips welcome. recent event photos on http://facebook.com/nikonaddict

Thanks. (Note, the settings above NOT in all photos on FB... most were (1/125 - 800 to 3200 - S Mode).

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Small Lens Kit / Two Go-To Primes for D7000

G