Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why do I pixel Peep?

JohnE Nikon

New HArtford, US
932 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JohnE Nikon Registered since 15th Jun 2010
Fri 25-Mar-11 03:28 PM

There are a few reasons why I may pixel peep.

While I have never printed a 30 x 50 inch print I sometimes find it helpful for the following reasons;

-With my wildlife photography I am limited by 340mm max focal length. I often get near the limitations of cropping when my subject is far away and I need/ want to fill the frame more. This is like printing a 30x 50 inch print.

-When I have a problem determining which image I should use I may decide by viewing 1:1 to determine which is sharper. (My rational is that my computer screen has a lower resolution than a print. Image softness may become apparent in a print that was not apparent on screen.)

-In assessing gear I find it easier to see minute difference in image quality.
For example if I am testing equipment subtle differences are not apparent to my eye between kit lens and pro lenses which become visible at 1:1 crop.

-I recently was evaluating a non-nikon portrait zoom and compared to my old 35-70 zoom (a lens much posted about due to ? backfocusing issues) I did 6 test shots with each lens at 35 and 70 mm focal lengths and opened up to 2.8. When images viewed at normal viewing in lightroom there was not much difference. When viewed 1:1 the difference was dramatic and consistent. I decided not to purchase the new zoom given this info. I may not have come to this conclusion if I did not pixel peep.

While pixel peeping does demand the most of your lenses and technique I do think it has its place,

- I think

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Why do I pixel Peep?