Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Which auto focus mode for shooting fast oncoming subjects?

Mr Moose

US
33 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Mr Moose Registered since 05th Jan 2011
Thu 17-Mar-11 08:00 PM

One of my favorite subjects to photograph are Trains. Yes, I'm what they call a "Rail Fan" and we like taking train pictures.
With my D200 I always used manual focus, I would pick a spot along the track, focus on that, and take as many as 5 to 10 shots, the first shots just behind my focus point and the last after. If I have a freight train coming at me @70 mph, this doesn't take very long.
With the D7000, can its improved AF lock on to something coming at me that fast?
What would the best settings be? One other thing to take into account is the head light, and the two smaller and lower ditch lights. I'm not sure if they would be a problem or not.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Which auto focus mode for shooting fast oncoming su...

G