Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7000 or s/h D300 for motorsports - any experience & comments?

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
drmarkf

Cambridge, UK
79 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
drmarkf Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jun 2009
Tue 15-Mar-11 09:26 PM

Hi.
I'm planning to get a DX body for motorsports (mainly) for use with a 70-200 VRII, and something longer when I've got more experience.
I'd be very interested in people's first-hand experiences & recommendations between the D7000 and a second-hand D300 for sports photography. Focus performance and handling are important to me (as is an eventual move onward to FX if the bodies ever get smaller!). High ISO performance is less critical.

Some other points:

I've played with a D300 and a D7000 for a couple of hours each, and much prefer the handling of the D300, but I haven't been able to try either in a motorsports environment.

I'm not bothered about video.

The size & weight of the D7000 is attractive, but I can cope with the D300 (while the D700 is just too big for me).

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Regards,
Mark

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G