Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help to onfigure a $1500 basic outfit?

familyman1955

Orem, US
54 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
familyman1955 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2006
Sun 13-Mar-11 12:58 PM

I am starting this post here, no knowing the best place to put it. Sorry if it's not the right forum!

I need some help configuring a camera system for my sister-in-law. I own a D700 with a small cadre of lenses (most at the “professional” level), and so I haven’t been spending a lot of time outside areas of Nikonians that apply directly to me. Because I shoot Nikon my brother feels like I “know everything Nikon” – oops, he’s wrong! So your help is greatly appreciated.

My brother has a $1,500 budget to buy his wife an “introductory-level” Nikon camera outfit for her next birthday, which he will buy during his next trip home to the USA this month. My sister-in-law (and her family) lives just 20 miles south of Paris. Living near Paris she often has the chance to shoot the wonderful architectural and landscape sites in Paris and around Europe as they travel. She has three children, 3, 10, and 13, of whom she spends a lot of time taking pictures. The 13-year old is a young man heavily involved in club soccer. The little town they live in is a quaint village-style location and offers picture-taking opportunities as well. So, she represents a typical, significant challenge in that she doesn’t focus on one type of photography at this point in her life.

She takes thousands of photos each month – she is seriously “into” taking landscape, architectural, family, and sports (her son’s soccer games) photos. She uses a “point-and-shoot” right now, but desperately wants to get into an SLR. If it turns out that she really likes the SLR world, then my brother will upgrade her equipment to the “next level” in a year or two.

I am completely at a loss as to how to direct my brother’s purchase. My own approach has always been to buy the best glass first and then get the best body I can afford. But, obviously, I operate on a much deeper budget than the $1,500 my brother has. So, I don’t know if there is such a thing as a “best glass” strategy at this investment level, or not. The camera stores in my area are very week in terms of equipment, and especially expert advice. Is there a reasonable strategy in the $1,500 range?

Thanks for your help and suggestions, and I hope that this request isn’t impossibly “hopeless”!!

FamilyMan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Help to onfigure a $1500 basic outfit?

G