Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Couple Theatre shots ISO 3200 and 1400

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 12-Mar-11 02:12 AM

Just doing a little editing tonight and I thought I'd post some initial shots. I am finding the D7000 as a good alternate camera in theatre. I am using the D7000 for the wider shots (24-70) and for when I want to shoot quietly and discretely - the D7000 is such a nice quiet camera. I am still progressing with the camera so still lots to learn but am pushing the camera to higher ISOs and seeing how I like the results. I do find I have to be fairly conservative exposing these or the highlights blow but I am finding the D7000 pretty usable up to ISO 3600.

The first sample is ISO 3200 and the second is ISO 1400 and is of course very clean. No noise reduction applied and these are cropped slightly and sharpened fairly heavily in post, so if anything that accentuates the noise. I am fairly happy with these.

Note I also had some at ISO 4000, 5000, and 6400 but I would relegate those lofty heights to the D700 instead due to some blotchy noise on the backgrounds but more importantly a lot of difficulty with blown highlights due to the stage lights. But I think I can push the D7000 to Auto-ISO ISO 3200 fairly dependably.

That is my daughter in front left of second photo This is their second year of college and they have come along way, this was a really high quality performance of the play called Company!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Couple Theatre shots ISO 3200 and 1400