Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

First impressions of D7000

canontraitor

JP
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
canontraitor Registered since 28th Feb 2011
Mon 07-Mar-11 09:42 PM

Hey everyone. I found a D7000 for a very reasonable price yesterday and combined with selling off some other photo gear, I'm now a two-camera person.

I have to be honest and say that my initial reason for getting the D7000 was to cover the areas where my other camera (Leica M8) doesn't shine (major tele and macro, and high ISO in particular: put the M8 above 640 and you get more noise than at a Slayer concert). But I took the D7000 out for a walkabout yesterday afternoon / evening and it really, really impressed me. I picked up a 50mm 1.4 to go with it, and I'm considering the 18-200 VRII (red) as a general all-purpose lens because it has pretty good reviews around the board (and the one thing that gets pointed out as a negative - distortion - is pretty easy to fix with DXO). There's a marathon being run next week, and given that they don't move all that fast, I imagine the 18-200 will be more than good enough.

Anyway, back to the camera. The colours in particular are just stunning. (I usually shoot the Leica in B/W, so it's pointless to compare, but still), and the high ISO performance is as good as anything I've seen on a Canon. Add that to a small and portable body, twin card slots and a battery which appears to last forever, and this is one impressive camera.

I'd love to show you what it (not I) did, but I don't know how to go about that. Can we put flickr links in messages, or do you have to post the pictures themselves?

Anyway, one impressed new Nikon user saying hello.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: First impressions of D7000

G