Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Soft Images and D7000: For what it's worth.

dankeny

Roland, US
1557 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dankeny Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006
Mon 07-Mar-11 01:40 PM

I hear a lot of sound and fury about soft images with the D7000 and the limitations of old lenses. I decided to shot one. Here is my soft image with an old lens (200 f/4 macro). Look how soft the flower is--must be the equipment. Probably the old lens. The sensor is too good for it.

Click on image to view larger version

If you look closely, you will see that the image is fine. The parts of the image in the zone of focus are dead on, tack sharp. See blades of grass bottom right. What's wrong is that the flower isn't focused perfectly. Okay, full disclosure, I picked the target to get this result. The breeze was moving the flower and I took a few frames to get this one. It is interesting, at least to me, that the D7000 locked the edge of the flower pedal. Maybe that was dumb luck. Anyway, the zone of acceptable focus here is pretty darned thin. The problem is that the apparent subject is not centered in that zone.

David

G