Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Maximum number of shots display glitch?

WJMcIntosh

US
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
WJMcIntosh Registered since 22nd Jan 2011
Tue 22-Feb-11 05:27 PM | edited Tue 22-Feb-11 05:30 PM by WJMcIntosh

When I first took my Nikon D7000 out of the box and popped my 32 gig card in for the first time, I was VERY disappointed to find that there were only 899 shots available when shooting in RAW. I knew the file size of each shot would be larger, but this was a pretty huge drop off from the capacity of my D90.

So...this past weekend I was shooting like a maniac up in Yosemite, and I knew I was going to fill up the card, but I stopped looking after awhile as I was pretty distracted shooting in the new snow, etc.

When my card finally DID fill up, I had roughly 1500 RAW file shots on it.

To add to the confusion, when I put larger capacity cards in the D90, it would simply state "2k" or "1K" if I had more than a thousand shots left. With the D7000, it looked like I had only taken 500 shots. When I viewed the shots in reverse, it dropped to 999 shots after I got to one, and then continued down to the next 1 for a total of 1500.

What the freak? Sorry if this topic came up earlier, but if it did, I completely missed it. Anyone else dealing with false capacity numbers? Is this fixable if I upgrade the software? Anyone else have a different number of available shots for RAW files on a 32 gig card on the D7000?

My Nikonians gallery

My Flickr page

G