Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SD card capacity holds low number of photos--problem?

JazzDoc

Rochester, US
471 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JazzDoc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006
Sun 30-Jan-11 03:29 AM

I recently bought a D7000 for my wife. I noticed that large capacity SD cards when formatted show a surprisingly small number of photos available. For example, I have 16GB Sandisk class 10 cards. when formatted, the camera gives a number around 460. This is for RAW files only. A simple calculation gives an estimate closer to double that number. However, in my D300 and D3s, a formatted 16GB CF card shows about 770 when empty. This cannot be explained by different file sizes between the bodies. Does anyone have an explanation for this curiosity?

Gary Paige

my gallery

www.frontpaige-photography.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: SD card capacity holds low number of photos--proble...

G