Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
newton124

US
14 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
newton124 Registered since 18th Nov 2009
Tue 18-Jan-11 11:36 PM

I recently picked up an MB-D11 and 2 additional batteries for my D7000. I also bought an off-brand charger (Adorama's Premium Tech Digital Charger) for the EN-EL15's. When I first got the 2 new batteries and the charger, I charged one of the batteries in the Nikon charger and the other in the off-brand. They each took a few hours to fully charge. I placed one battery in the body and the other in the grip. When I went to the menu and checked on the battery status, it showed the body battery as 100% with a Life of 1 (new); however, the grip battery showed up as 100% charged with a life of 4 (in the RED!). I switched the batteries around thinking I had a bad contact, but the 4 followed the battery.

OK.. I figured I got a bad battery from Adorama and they were very professional about it and replaced it without issue. The new battery arrived today so I threw it on the Premium Tech charger. After about the usual 2-3 hours, it showed up as charged. Popped it into the grip & BINGO - another 100% with an age of 4! Switched the battery positions and no change.

I find it extremely unlikely that I got 2 bad batteries in a row, so I checked out the Premium Tech charger. A big difference I see between it and the Nikon charger is that the Nikon charger has a full set of contacts (5) whereas the Premium Tech has only a + and -.

I know the new batteries are smart, but do they also need to be charged on a smart charger? Does the charger do some type of reset? Any idea if the new battery can be saved so it goes back to NEW (1)? Any suggestions on how to do that? Should I dump the charger?

rich..

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Battery question
Reply message RE: Battery question - FollowUp

G