Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 water damage

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
Jeff Nikon

UK
9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jeff Nikon Registered since 28th Sep 2010
Tue 28-Sep-10 01:05 AM

I have had my D700 repaired 5 times this year for on-board flash problems. Each time free of charge within the warranty period. 2 days after the warranty ended and 5 weeks after the last repair, the on-board flash started firing, even when the camera was switched off! I could smell burning of an electrical kind and saw a tiny puff of smoke. Nikon now want £250 and say it is rusting throughout due to water damage, although I rarely use it outdoors and only once for a wedding since the last repair. It seems the water gets in through the on-board flash. This would explain why the D3 doesn't have one.. Prior to this I had 6 D300 bodies in a week and each one had hot pixels. I never had any trouble with the D200 so I might get one again or perhaps a D2X. I love Nikon but very disappointed with the D700 water issue and their idea that its all my fault. I have seen some owners online proudly showing off their D700 cameras dripping with water to demonstrate its weather resistance. Take my warning - the D700 is a £1750 accident waiting to happen. Nikon tell me its weather resistant to a limit, but what limit are they talking about, perhaps a drop of champagne from a flying cork or sweat from my nose? Full frame or not, I wont use one again and I strongly advise you all not to put this model on such a high pedestal. Each time mine malfunctioned it was half way through a huge wedding and none of my clients were impressed. If only I could put up with Klingon menus I'd switch to Canon.

G