Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Replacement cover for the LCD screen

NY Jim

Cortlandt Manor, US
69 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
NY Jim Registered since 11th Feb 2009
Sun 16-Jan-11 09:53 PM

The plastic LCD protector on my D7000 did not last very long without getting scuffed. It's pretty soft. I found a nice and inexpensive replace on the internet called "GGS III generation Optical Glass LCD Screen Protector for Nikon D90". Although it was designed for the D90, it fits the D7000 just fine. This glass protector provides a clearer view of the LCD than the plastic protector that ships with the D7000, BUT it's not an exact duplicate. The difference is the factory plastic protector has a slight cut-out for the circular "multiselector" ring on back of the body (on the right side near the top, with the OK button in the center). The lack of the cut-out makes it marginally harder to press the "go left" side of the circular multiselector. This is not a deal breaker for me. Just a minor inconvenience. On balance, the glass cover is a nice and inexpensive upgrade for the D7000.

What I found ironic is that the add-on battery grip for the D7000 (Nikon part number MB-D11) has duplicate controls that allow the D7000 to be used when oriented in portrait mode. This includes the multiselector. But instead of the same design that the D7000 body uses, the MB-D11 provides a joystick instead of the circular rocker switch. This just left me scratching my head. Why make the photographer learn two different controls for the same control operation? Well, I think this replacement glass cover gave me the answer. The joystick control require less open surround space. The MB-D11's curvature makes surround space very limited. I'll bet the Nikon engineers opted for the joystick to fit into the available space on the MB-D11, and force the photographer to adapt to the different control (that's used to select the main AF point and menu selections). Again, not a deal breaker, but I'd have preferred the same control on both the camera and the grip. Why not use the joystick for both?

-- Jim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Replacement cover for the LCD screen

G