Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Your thoughts 5DMK2 to D7000 or duel system

Psyche

Owensboro, US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Psyche Registered since 09th Jan 2011
Mon 10-Jan-11 01:01 AM

Hello. I am a second shooter and primary digital artist for a very profitable, boutique portrait studio. I am a long time Nikon shooter...N80, D70, D200, D300, D5000. However, I sold my Nikon equipment about a year ago and made the switch to Canon.

Having used the Canon equipment, I can't say that I hate the set up, but it is just not what I am used to. Nearly a year later I still find myself thinking almost daily how I wish I had my Nikon gear back.

My reasoning for making the switch was that the studio owners are Canon users exclusively and it would make it easier to share lenses, flashes, etc. They encouraged the switch as well. It has been nice in that respect. Just yesterday they were needing to use my speed light on a location shoot. Also, we plan to launch a commercial division this year. They will be picking up at least the 24mm T/S lens. I would miss getting to use that lens and a couple of others in their line up.

With that said, I miss the comfort zone I had with my Nikon equipment. I love the FF aspect of the 5DMK2 but loathe the AF! I also shoot outside of work for personal gratification and am working on my PPA masters having two prints go loan last year. I personally like shooting Nikon MUCH better. Would it be crazy to think about coming back? Or maybe I should consider using both? I just hate to tie money up on both sides I guess. And I see the benefit of selling the MK2 before a MK3 arrives on the scene. The MK2 can make beautiful images but the AF really holds it back for some of the specific things I shoot. I also like the Nikon Speedlight much better. I just can't seem to get used to the ergonomics of the MK2 either. It still does not feel comfortable in my hands.

I would love to see a D700 replacement in the imminent future. But what about this D7000? I loved the D200...was not as crazy about the D300's image quality. While the D300 improved on the D200 in a lot of areas, I felt the D200 delivered a nicer image. I like the resolution on the D7000...good but not overkill. What matters most to me for the great majority of shooting I do personally is AF speed, accuracy, ability to focus in low light, and image quality. The camera would be fine for the studio work I do.

I know this is something I am going to have to work out for myself but I guess I wanted to think out loud here and see what others might think, or even if anyone else has been in a similar situation.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

BE

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Your thoughts 5DMK2 to D7000 or duel system

G