Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

This is not a specific post about a specific problem, Just my "OK" journey

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4560 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Mon 03-Jan-11 04:57 PM | edited Mon 03-Jan-11 04:58 PM by richardd300

In the furore following the launch of the D7000, I wonder if anyone else really, truly and honestly feels as I do?

Yes I like my D7000, but "like" is a subjective word I guess because I am having trouble using the words "terrific" or "fantastic", let alone and perish the thought, “ground breaking”. The word "like" to me is just slightly better than OK. I don't think, or can't remember reading so many superlatives about previous Nikons. I'm sure I could if I trawled the historical (or should that be hysterical) posts there would be a list as long as well...as long as a list of posts of the miraculous qualities of the D7000. I had a buzz when I bought my D80, and more than an excited tingle with the D300 and D700 and I still get that every time single time I use the 700 even after 19 months. The D90 to me also almost fitted into that “tingle” category too, but not quite.

I have persevered, taken over 2000 images of BIF, general wildlife, family events, landscapes etc. I have been advised of settings, altered them, played with them and even listened to Thom Hogan's almost evangelical like outpourings on the subject of "hysterical" postings. Evidently Thom visits this forum too. Yep, I was hysterical when I changed my first faulty camera in hope the replacement would offer me everything most others seem to applaud. At least it focused ok this time.

Now the important bit. Today, I abandoned my D7K in favour of my D700 with a 24 - 120mm f/4.5-5.6 lens, not the usual 14-24 or 24-70 or 70-200 f/2.8 lenses. Apart from the image size which I reset to JPEG Large, I normally capture in RAW, I also returned all camera settings to factory default and reset all custom bank and setup settings. The day was dull and I went to a local city with a river, shops, and historical architecture. I took 87 images. I returned home and loaded the images into Lightroom 3, subjected the images to minimal sharpening and auto tone. I deleted only one image. After 45 minutes I enjoyed a slideshow and was happy again, really happy with my results.

If the day ever comes when I am happy like that with the D7K I’ll let you know. It is not my intention to be disparaging of any posts and have received all the help possible. I have also received many, many “off forum” mails which were very helpful. After a while I started to produce “OK” images and was encouraged to carry on. So, on that evidence I must be the only just “OK” D7000 user on the forum!

This is not a specific post about a specific problem, it’s about what D7K means to me, just “OK” and I don’t do just OK. Reading the posts it has to be me, I seem to be able to produce sharp, well colour balanced and quality images and most importantly images I am happy with, on a camera set to default values.

I look forward to the first spreadsheet of D7000 suggested settings.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: This is not a specific post about a specific proble...
Reply message The D7000 story.

G