Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Better focus with Exposure Delay ON

waxart

Vallejo, US
67 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008
Tue 28-Dec-10 01:10 AM | edited Tue 28-Dec-10 05:00 AM by waxart

I mentioned briefly in another post that, due to a hand disability, I couldn't achieve sharp focus handheld with VR on in the D7000. Since then I've turned on Exposure Delay which allows the mirror to go up before the shutter is released, thus preventing extra camera shake. Here are 2 images shot this way with the 18-105mm kit lens:

Click on image to view larger version

Settings: f5.6 @ 1/6s ISO100 105mm window light indoors

Click on image to view larger version

settings: f5.6 @ 1/25s ISO 560 66mm natural light in fairly dim room

Has anyone else experimented with this feature? I know that Live View does something similar, but I haven't found those shots nearly as sharp, possibly because I'm holding the camera away from my eye. Live View uses a different focusing system - the mirror is up all the time. In Exposure Delay the camera focuses, then the mirror goes up, and a second later the shutter operates. I'm assuming that this prevents vibration from the movement of the mirror from camera-shake?
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Better focus with Exposure Delay ON

G