Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nighttime Force Shot?

MikeyBiker

Valparaiso, US
40 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MikeyBiker Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Jan 2010
Fri 24-Dec-10 12:33 AM

Last night I went out in pitch blackness with an ancient Nikkor 50mm F1.4 mounted on my D50. I set everything to manual, fired a test with the SB600, and adjusted the aperture until it was 'pretty good' exposure. I picked the hyperfocal distance according to the resulting f-stop. Life is good while gleefully shooting my grandson sledding down the hill.

Tonight, the battery for my new D7k finished charging just 30 minutes ago. I've spent the last half hour trying to force the same shot with the kit lens and SB600. It just refuses to fire.

I've looked at the manual, but can't find any way to FORCE it to make an exposure, any exposure at all, even if it is wrong....
What am I missing?

Note, the D7k/SB600 exposes wonderfully when given just a moderate amout of ambient illumination to focus and 'figure out' the rest of the exposure. Absolutely perfect test shots to prove it works.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nighttime Force Shot?