Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tendency to over-expose… or maybe not!

elec164

US
2597 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Tue 21-Dec-10 03:22 PM

Prompted by reading Thom Hogan’s review and comments made about the D7000 began to make me wonder about this issue.

It was also spurred on by my experience with the measurement procedure brought on by a response by Robp to a post over in the ‘Printers, Scanners and Color Management’ forum. It was a procedure that allowed you to use your cameras meter to estimate the cd/m2 that the monitor is displaying at. I used my D7000 and then out of curiosity used my D80. Both cameras produced a shutter speed of 1/125 which put my monitor’s brightness at the top of acceptable levels. But the more interesting result was when I took an image of the white screen which should have come out middle gray. On the D80 the histogram peak was just left of center which coincides with Thom’s “Meter’s don’t See 18% Gray”. But the D7000 histogram was just right of center.

Both cameras were set to manufacturer defaults as far as camera JPEG output was concerned. Both cameras chose an exposure of 1/125 @ f/5.6 and ISO 400, but the resulting images had dramatically different result.

Which brings up the question; does the D7000 actually over expose (possible sensor site saturation) or is the tone curve in the D7000 tweaked differently then preceding models which tends to provide a hotter PP making it seem like it is over-exposing (clipping)?

If it is the latter and you are prone to chimping adjusting the exposure accordingly, then you actually may be under-exposing reducing the DNR ability and increasing the noise in shadow areas.

Anyone have any thoughts on my observation?

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G