Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7000 - example shots taken with old and new (replacement) camera

vladman

London, UK
27 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
vladman Registered since 25th Jun 2009
Thu 16-Dec-10 10:59 PM

Hi,

I avoided posting further on the subject, until I convinced myself, beyond any doubt, whether I had a problem or not.

This was my previous thread: https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=2653&mesg_id=2653&page=

I've now decided that my camera definitely had a problem.

So I went and exchanged it today, and tried the new one in store. New one immediately seemed better, and although I was very limited in my testing options in-store, before buying, I was almost 100% confident that this camera didn't have the fault (whatever that may be) the previous one did.

I came home and fired a couple of shots, almost identical to ones I took with the old camera, the evening before.

I've uploaded a set of crops to my gallery (click on my signature), for all of you to take a look. As they say, pictures say a 1000 words. All pictures are 100% crops, and unprocessed in any other way. They also retain their EXIF info. All were taken during the night (as I work during the day, and the days are very short now), with my 35mm f1.8 lens, but in sufficiently lit environments, and with sufficiently high shutter speeds. There's some variation in shutter speeds, aperture, ISO and focus distance between different examples though, as I wanted to cover a range of scenarios. The first 17 pictures have been taken with the old camera, in most cases, there are two examples of the same detail taken using the viewfinder (pictures labelled "VF") to focus, then one taken using LiveView ("LV") to focus. The last 4 pictures (two pairs) were taken with the new camera and they are prefixed with "NEW". They show that the new camera doesn't have the problem the old one has.

There are only 17 pictures here from the old camera, even though I've taken hundreds. I mostly took between 5-10 shots using the viewfinder, and just one using LiveView, and in nearly every instance, LiveView was sharp, and all images taken using the viewfinder were soft/blurry/OOF.

These were all handheld, and are in no way scientific and "proper" tests, but they satisfy me that there definitely was a problem with the old camera, and that the new camera is ok.

I don't know if there was a better way to present all these pictures to you, I found it pretty painful to upload them here, the process was a bit confusing. Also, you seem to have to press "show EXIF info" under each one to see that.

I am now SO looking forward to working with this camera, getting to know it better, getting the best out of it, and learning and having fun in the process.

Thank you to everyone here who contributed with their opinion or advice.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G