Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Issue with fixed focus. Very frustrated.

Luciano151

US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Luciano151 Registered since 11th May 2014
Mon 12-May-14 12:20 AM

After shooting with a D70 for years, a couple of months ago I invested in a couple of D7100 bodies. I've read Darrell Young's book; Mastering the Nikon 7100 and Julia King's Nikon D7100 for Dummies. Each twice. I believe I've mastered the controls to this camera.

This is my issue. BOTH camera bodies are doing the same thing.

I set up my cameras so that when I press the shutter 1/2 way down I fix my focus. In the custom settings menu on both cameras, AF-C Priority Selection and AF-A Priority Selection are both set for focus NOT release.

When I hold the shutter down 1/2 way on either camera body and focus on something in the background, keep the shutter half way down and then aim my camera, while still holding the shutter button 1/2 way down, to something in the foreground, the AF kicks into gear.

However, when I go the opposite direction, focus on foreground and THEN go to the background, while doing the exact same thing, holding the shutter button half way down, the focus stays fixed.

It should stay fixed in both directions if I'm holding the shutter button half way down.

I have tried every conceivable camera configuration and I keep on having the same problem. I don't get it.

What on earth could be wrong? Is it even possible that two different bodies could have the same issue?

With my D70, I never had this issue. When I pressed the shutter half way down I locked in both the focus and exposure. I don't know why this is happening with my 7100's.

Any help would be so appreciated.

Regards,

Luciano Leon

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G