Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Dark Theatre Epic Fail...Need serious advice!

rfc143

US
71 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rfc143 Registered since 03rd Mar 2011
Sun 04-May-14 08:58 PM

So, my lovely wife enters the local talent contest singing a great jazz piece. I bring my 7100, and attempt to get something like a reasonable exposure. Epic Fail.
The performers are intensely lit, from high up, on an absolutly jet black background. I'm far back in the theatre, so use some zoom; start with center spot focus and exposure, but unless the focusing and exposure point is right on a lit area (like a face), the performer blooms out with over exposure.
I tried center weighted; not much better. Tried shutter priority to set the lowest speed and allow the iso to climb; results all over the map.
Finally, went to just setting the iso at "Hi-07", the "no-flash" setting, which I believe is still all auto, just no flash, and got a few properly exposed, and subjects not moving.

Can someone give me a starting point to work with for the future on the settings for this kind of environment---that of a play, or other theatre performance...only requirement is NO flash.

Thanks in advance.
p.s. My wife was fabulous, even if my photos were not!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Dark Theatre Epic Fail...Need serious advice!

G