Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Video Question: in car autoracing

Nikon_EvolutionX

US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Nikon_EvolutionX Registered since 21st Apr 2014
Mon 21-Apr-14 02:53 AM

Hello,

I have been into photography on and off for about 4 years. Had a d90, d7000 and now a d7100 after a year and a half off. I know how to take still photos but I have a few questions about video. I have only played around a little with the video mode.

My question or questions, are:

I am thinking about using a roll bar mount to mount the 7100 to record the track in front of me and my Drift Ghost S to record behind me. That way I don't need to buy a second Drift Ghost. I found a pretty sturdy roll bar mount for a DSLR but not sure what settings would be good for racing.

I read the 7100 can do 30p and 60i. It said 30p is smoother but in some cases, such as fast moving objects, that 60i may be better. What do you guys think?

Also I read to set the shutter at the FPS (30 fps should be about 1/30) is that true also for faster moving things?

I am thinking I need a wide angle lens as I want it to show from about the left side mirror to the right side. I want to make sure at least part of my helmet is in the video and my hands. I use that part for reviewing after the sessions to see where I am looking and what I am doing with my hands to help improve. On my Drift Ghost I believe the 127 FOV does this.

As far as aperture, I want to get as much in focus as possible but not sure where to focus and what aperture for video. Maybe this isn't too much of an issue with a wide angle lens?

The track sessions run about 20 to 25 min. I believe the 7100 records 20 min in the best mode. Will a remote trigger be able to start the video? The first lap is warm up and the last lap is cool down so I could just start it after the first lap but with the 6 point harness on I can't move much so no way I could reach the camera.

Like I said, I use the video to train myself. Sometimes when you are doing 140 mph entering a turn you kind of get tunnel vision when you are still fairly new and think you are hitting your lines and apex's right but video review later shows you aren't.

Also, it's kind of boring for friends and family to see just one angle the whole time so I figure I could cut back to the rear view shot when I pass people to show how much I pull away. And for bragging rights to my friends that think their BMW's, Porsche, Vetts, and mustangs can beat my little 4 banger 2 liter on the track.

BTW, I have been researching this, it's just hard to find things related to my purpose.

Also I run an external mic to the license plate for sound with the Drift Ghost, for the 7100 I would run an external inside the car out of direct wind or under the hood.

Thank you

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Video Question: in car autoracing