Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A Basic Question about Focusing

WillieKat

San Diego, US
112 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
WillieKat Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jul 2011
Sun 20-Apr-14 11:50 PM

In the ebook The Nikon D7000 Experience, the author writes about "the focus point" as if you can select a particular point by moving the multiselector button and locking in the focus on that single point. I don't see any way to do this. He says to set the Mode Dial to P (does this only work in P?). Depress the shutter halfway, then looking through the viewfinder use the MultiSelector to select the focus point that is nearest to where you want to focus and place that point where you want to focus. Then lock in the focus. Does this make sense?

For me, when pressing down the shutter button halfway, the points appear, flashh red then black and disappear, so there doesn't appear any way to select one or any of them since they have just disappeared. When I want to focus on my dog's eyes at 15 feet away, I am unable to this. The points could be anywhere in the direction of the dog, on her tail even, but that doesn't mean the eyes are in focus. Today I was using my 55-300mm lens with AF selected on the body and A selected on the lens. The camera was set to AF-S and the AF area mode was set to a single point. What am I doing wrong?

I have been taking photos that seem to be in focus with the camera, seemingly in spite of where the focus points end up being precisely. But being unable to get more accurate with where I want the focus to be doesn't seem right. Short of using manual focus, is there a way to do this?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: A Basic Question about Focusing

G