Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7000 + Auto ISO + Flash = Winner

rasworth

Austin, US
1191 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rasworth Basic Member
Tue 14-Dec-10 07:35 PM

The D7000 algorithms for Auto ISO with flash have been "smartened" up a lot as compared to a D300. Auto ISO without flash works well, as far as I can tell identically to the D300, but with flash it's much more effective. The shutter speed almost always bottoms out at the Auto ISO limit instead of the minimum flash speed. And I believe the camera is trying to do some sort of ambient/flash balance, instead of just going for sufficient light. There is a hint or two in the manual, but not much.

My D7000 is set up in Auto ISO, max ISO 3200, min shutter speed 1/160. I shot into my living room, 16-85VR at 16mm, both with no flash and with a SB600 aimed at the ceiling. The attached images are straight out of ACR, default pp - first image is no flash, second with flash, and third a 100% crop of the with flash shot to show noise performance. Both shots were done at f8, the no-flash resulted in ISO 1800, and the flash ISO 1600.

The first image appears underexposed, although the metering system was doing its best to capture the dynamic range of the scene. And in fact a reasonable image can be pulled out with sufficient pp.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

Richard Southworth

G