Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Upgrading to D7100 and looking for glass recommendations/updates

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
daiku1

Templeton, US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
daiku1 Registered since 25th Mar 2014
Tue 25-Mar-14 11:33 PM | edited Tue 25-Mar-14 11:36 PM by daiku1

I am a long time photographer who hasn't used my DSLR in a while. I have a D70 that I don't care for much because of low light performance and usability. For traveling, I shoot a Sony NEX-7 with an 18-200 Tamron, so the Nikon is more for local use, artistic expression.

I am planing to buy the D7100 and want to take advantage of some of the lens specials this month. My current lens are:

AF Nikkor 24-120 3.5-5.6D (no VR)
AF-S Nikkor 18-70 3.5-4.5 G ED DX
AF Nikkor 80-200 ED 2.8 D original (Awesome lens, but not VR)
AF Nikkor 20mm 2.8D Prime

Rarely used the G lens, don't even know if it will work with the 7100.

I also have a Kenko 2x converter. . I also recently upgraded my tripod setup to RRS Head.

Recently disabled, I want to get back into SLR's for flexibility, Shooting my daughters sports events, and want to shoot birds as well as portraits.

Would any of the current lens's be a good replacement or addition for the above glass?
The AF-S 70-300 4.5-5.6 ED ID VR, 55-300DX VR and 18-105 3.5-5.6 DX VR ED would add VR to my kit,what are your thoughts about these?

Any others I should consider? Would you recommend I spend the big bucks on a telephoto prime and/or a super wide angle?

Primarily want to take advantage of the specials right now, but don't want to spend on lens's that wouldn't provide significant advantage over my existing glass. Any thoughts? Are the VR's a must these days? Are the sharp? Thanks for your help. I need to make a decision in the next couple days.

G