Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Did I receive a lemon D7100?

ultinikon

Hudson, US
112 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ultinikon Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2014
Tue 11-Mar-14 12:15 PM

I purchased my D7100 21 days ago from B&H. Since receiving it, I've had two problems:

- Occasionally, either the Menu button or Info button, when initially pushed, produces no response from the camera. I'm not talking about getting the hourglass screen, and the green "busy" LED was not lit when the button was pushed. Pushing a second (or third time) would produce the desired screen.

- Even more troublesome: While on a shoot last night, the shutter became stuck in the open position. This was preceded by a few exposures where the shutter started catching. I took off the lens, pressed the shutter release, and the shutter returned to its normal position. Replaced the lens, and the same stuck-open behavior . (This is a rental lens, by the way, from a reputable shop: Lens Pro To Go) Removed the lens, pressed the shutter release, and the shutter returned to normal position. Replaced the lens, and it stuck a third time. I debated whether to give up at that point, but I had just started a three day rental on the lens, and only two opportunities to test it during that period. I decided to try one more time taking off the lens and pressing the shutter release; the shutter returned to its normal position. This time, the camera returned to its normal behavior, taking an additional 1000 exposures, with no problem.

Since receiving this camera, I've taken about 17,000 exposures total.

I know I'm within B&H's 30-day return window. Should I just take the safe option, and replace the camera body? (Getting a new one from them, this was part of a bundle purchase.)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Did I receive a lemon D7100?

G