Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D7100 - just some thoughts

Giltic

SI
274 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Giltic Registered since 11th Nov 2013
Wed 05-Feb-14 12:11 PM

Well; here we go…
This thread is just a food fot thoughts and nothing more.
I was looking again »The Epic Shootout Comparison« by MichaelTheMentor on Youtube. He was comparing Nikon D7100 vs Canon 70D.
I don't know if this is just me, but when I got to the part of the video, where he compares photos of the same scene side by side, some photos from D7100 had
slight green tint (or haze). It could be seen on the 'girl in the shade' photo and some other photos. I couldn't find green tint on 70D photos. This haze is not so evident, if youl look just the photo of D7100. But side by side I can see it. It could be that my monitor is not calibrated properly and perhaps on some other monitors there is a red tint on 70D photos and D7100 photos are perfect. Did anyone else noticed this?
I have discoveren that when shooting inside of my house I get the same green tint on my photos on higher ISO settings. I can see it on my camera LCD and on my computer led LCD monitor and on my LCD monitor at work. It happens with ordinary light bulb, white led bulb and with (don't know the name) saving bulbs. The photos are OK on lower ISO values. By the way; my Canon works fine on same settings – no green tint.
Is this just me as an unexperienced beginner and I need to set something to avoid green tint?
I was searching the internet and found, that there are some D800 users complaining about green tint and haze on the photos. Usually the get an answer to shoot RAW and repair the photos later with software.

Friends are telling me that I have ''some sort of a curse'' for small details – I can see small things most other people don't (it's like Monk thing or something). It's the same thing as with Nikon 35mm 1.8G and Nikon 50mm 1.8G. I have mentioned somewhere on this forum in ''I don't remember which thread'' that I have noticed, that photos I take with f1.8 (with those two primes) are darker (somehow underexposed) then photos taken with f4. I asked if someone else noticed this. Later I have discovered, that this is called light fall-of or vigneting. What can I say; I am still a beginner. There is a lot of examples on the internet. Usually they test this on uniform gray background and photos on f1.8 are always darker.
Here is one example: http://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-50mm-f1-8g/5

Back to Michael and his comparison. When he was testing AF accuracy (shooting jpegs on highest settings on both cameras) he soon discovered, that D7100 buffer is full quicker then 70D buffer. I don't know why he didn't check the file size from both cameras of the same scene. Well, he mentioned this much later in his clip. Files (jpegs) of the same scene were smaller from 70D. Did he mentioned 40-45% smaller or I got this from somewhere else?. Apparently Canon is compressing jpegs much more as Nikon. If you look at the 70D and D7100 manuals: 70D finest jpeg 6.6MB and D7100 large/fine jpeg 12MB. This is just approximate size but it can give you a hint about file size difference. Like shooting jpegs on D7100 with settings Large/Normal.
If both cameras had the same jpeg engine the files from 70D would be just 16% smaller if we compare the sensor size (24MP vs 20MP sensor). Right?
There is the same percentage in file size difference (16%) if comparing 70D and D7100 RAW size. D7100 RAW loosless 14bit: 28.5MB file size and 70D best RAW: 24MB file size.
But if we compare the jpeg sizes from both cameras (12MB vs 6.6MB) we get 45% size difference – files from 70D are 45% smaller.

There is another thing about this comparison that bothers me. When Michael was testing AF accuracy (running girl) he was using focusing point from far side of the focusing screen (I think far right point) on both cameras. Why?
Is someone really shooting sports with far left or right focusing point? On D7100 those far points are practically on the edges of the lens wher most lenses have softer image and other problems.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D7100 - just some thoughts

G