Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Another random newbie question - mental checklists?

bggary

Everett, US
56 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
bggary Registered since 29th Dec 2013
Tue 04-Feb-14 09:37 PM

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum... there isn't really a subforum for "technique" that I can find.

In those dark and well-forgotten years when I attempted to play golf, I became familiar with the concept of "swing thoughts". Many golfers have a short mantra - 2 or 3 things they want to remember when lining up over the ball - to help them remember certain fundamentals or avoid bad habits.

Last weekend I was out taking a bunch of practice shots and about 5 shots into a particular setup I remembered that I had adjusted my ISO, and hadn't re-set it before starting the next series. If I'd been taking pictures I "cared about", that would have really ticked me off.

So I was wondering - do good photographers have a mental checklist in certain circumstances to help avoid dumb mistakes and/or remember important adjustments? Among the things I'm pondering are things like

-- turn off VR, cover the eyepiece and use remote when on a tripod

-- if I adjust ISO/WB/EC/picture control for a setup,
remember to RESET them before the next setup

-- consciously choose shooting mode, AF-mode, metering mode when
planning the shot

Etc.

I guess the thing I'm doing, while climbing the learning curve of this amazing camera, is trying to be "deliberate" about my settings so that I build good processes/habits along the way.

Anyone else have a set of "reminders" they try to remember before pressing the button?

B

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Another random newbie question - mental checklists?

G