Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New to 7100 - button assignments or finger choreography?

bggary

Everett, US
56 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
bggary Registered since 29th Dec 2013
Tue 04-Feb-14 06:45 PM

I'm returning to SLR after a long layoff, and new to the D7100. And hunting for "tips".

High on the list of things I love to shoot are sunsets. I'm doing a lot in full-manual right now, because I want to learn the camera, and... on occasion, I find myself with not enough fingers to do what i think I want to do.

For example... I might meter on a good cloud, and then I want to press and hold the AE-lock; then I want to focus a third of the way into the scene and press and hold the AF-lock (assuming I've assigned it to a different button). Then I want to recompose and... by the time I get things the way I want, I have no fingers left for pressing the shutter release.

What are the cool-kid ways to handle things like this? I know that I could, for example, set the AE-lock to hold until canceled; I can turn off AF and focus manually, and/or I could use a timer or remote for release off a tripod, but....

..I guess what I'm asking is, how do people have their buttons set up and/or choreograph their fingers so that they can set up the shot the way they want?

Thx,
Bruce

G