Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

RAW + JPEG and settings question(s)

Frozenmouse1

US
9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Frozenmouse1 Registered since 26th Dec 2013
Mon 03-Feb-14 08:40 PM

In the past I only shot JPEGs and never did any post-processing (didn't know how and wanted to concentrate my efforts on shooting). Now I would like to do more with my images and I'd like to slowly wade into the post-processing waters. It makes sense to me, therefore, to capture my images in RAW + JPEG mode (RAW for post-processing, JPEG so I can use my images right away).

I recently bought a D7000 and understand that I can either record RAW + JPEG images onto the card in Slot 1 or record RAW onto the card in Slot 1 and JPEG onto the card in Slot 2. I'm not sure which way I'll go, but it will be one of these two ways.

My question(s) relate to settings such as white balance, picture control, color space, etc. My understanding is that choices made within these settings are permanent as to the JPEG image and reversible (in post-processing) as to the RAW image. This suggests that I make my choices within the settings with a view to optimizing the JPEG image. Is there any downside to this approach?

Are there choices within settings that are not reversible as to the RAW image, or that are difficult to reverse? Are there any choices within settings that are advisable as to the RAW image (that may not be equally as advisable as to the JPEG image)?

I've read the section of the manual that applies to the RAW/JPEG image quality setting, but there is no guidance to be found there.

In the event it makes a difference as to the advice given me, I shoot a range of subjects (cityscapes, landscapes, street life, portraits).

Thanks!

G