Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

MB-D15 counterfeit battery grip for D7100

jon_klimek

US
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jon_klimek Registered since 27th Jan 2014
Thu 30-Jan-14 03:42 PM

I wanted to pass this along, as a new Nikonian formerly a Pentaxian for years. I want to share with the community my findings. Nikon has a few pages on their site about fake parts and I saw that the D11 was commonly "knocked off". I couldn't find anything about watching out for a fake D15, until I unfortunately bought one from an ebay seller.

It should have been obvious that no one bid against me and I won the grip for under $100. When it arrived I opened the package to find a shiney new Nikon box, registration papers, and manuals. The grip nicely wrapped in 3 separate bags, the extra battery tray in the Nikon logo'd black pouch. The finish was perfectly matching the camera, the trays had metal retaining tabs, there was no glue seepage around the rubber. The rubber pad under the grip stamped Nikon and a serial number sticker.

Everything looked good, then I noticed the camera locating pins were plastic, the thumb screw felt a little wobbly and weak. There is a seal around the electrical connector. But pulling the tray out and looking in the body I discovered the whole unit was plastic. No magnesium to be found. This was confirmed by a magnet sticking to the bottom of the grip, and you can see a metal strengthening bar cast into the plastic - which should have been solid magnesium. The plastic cap on the electrical connector is white, where fakes on the D11 were clear. Also the shutter release/lock button has a white line on the body and a white dot on the selector, where D11 fakes just had two dots. Last, on expensive items like this there was an absence of a piece of tattle tape in the box for your electronic theft protection which most Nikon items have. Nikon publishes a weight for the unit and what I have is about two ounces light, with both trays.

Overall the grip feels fairly well made and there was a lot of attention to detail. I can not get over the length they went to to make this look like the real deal. It does feel solid enough for light use. In the US its illegal to sell counterfeit items, so let the buyer beware. I did read the eBay comments where a few others had purchased the grip and said it was the real deal. I'm guessing it wasn't, they just didn't look as hard.

I want my gear to be solid and rugged. Quite often I have to pay a little more, but I rarely have had a failure. A $30-50 grip is what I have here. It could work for some things. I'm hunting a good price on the real McCoy now...

Take care everyone!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: MB-D15 counterfeit battery grip for D7100

G